Re: RE: British Masters Racing

To: DWILSON@oregon.uoregon.edu, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: RE: British Masters Racing
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 91 09:41:08 -0800
Umm DW,
I specify bronze valve guides and stelite valve seats.  Considering the
melting point of bronze, I suspect they would not last long as the
exhaust valve seat.  I have run into some racers that do not even
like bronze for valve guides on full race engines.

Like the chap you talked to, I have not heard of bronze valve seats

However, if I can get every thing lined up, here is the way the
seats are used in both the intakes and exhaust of my TR head.

            -----------------------------
          /

          |             -----------------
          |           /
          |           |
          |           |

The valve posket is widened out to about the diameter of the original valve
seats & a stellite valve seat is installed upside down with the bevel
side facing in.  A new bevel seat is cut into the cylinder facing side to
seat the valve.  The end result is the creation of a venturi to speed up
air flow.  This is what Greg Solo uses when he sets up TR engines for racing
Morgans.  He also polishes the ports and installs oversize valves.
He claims to get 150 ponys for a very reliable engine.

TeriAnn