Re: RE: British Masters Racing

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: RE: British Masters Racing
From: Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1991 15:45 PST
I called the 1-800 for this place to see what they were like and here is my
impression:  The guy I spoke to was OK, I think he gets alittle tried of
talkingto people on the "free phone #". They do have a catalogue but they what
to sell
you a teeshirt (for $9.95) and you get a free catalogue.  he said they do this
as it is expensive to send out free catalogues and thought it was nicer than
charging for the catalogue.
They DO have a dyno and can produce engines any any spec you tell them.  For
example I asked if they have tried and trusted engines for say fast road, he
said they can build an engine for the specs wanted.  I asked if, for example
the distributor would be an off the shelf job for a modified engine, he said
it depends on how much money yopu want to spend, they could put the engine
on the dyno and curve the distributor to give best power for a specified rev
range.

So it looks like they know what they are talking about.  BUT when we got
talkingabout head modifications for a 1500 engine he said that porting it is
important,
I then said that as well as porting I would want bronze valve guides, stainless
steel valves (rimflo if available, he said they were not???) and bronze valve
seats.  he said he did not know if you could get them.  Am I totally off base?
I thought you could get bronze valve seats.  Then he said that the stelite ones
are about the best.  i think we must have miscomunicated, he might have thought
I was talking about valves, not the seats. (miscommunication over the phone
happends alot because of my accent).

So there you have it.  he was not overly enthusiastic, but if they are a
smallish place and get lots of people calling on the free# for free advise I
can't
really blame him.

I think I will get a catalogue and teeshirt to see whats what.

Also I think they do alot of work on the B' series engine.

Cheers DW