phil ethier is still out there

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: phil ethier is still out there
From: phile@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 91 21:49:10 CST
My network is not back yet, so this is on another machine.  I will not want to
get back on  the lists until I have full access once more.  I also have quite a
bit of stuff on my desk to clear up before I can justify the time.  You can
never really go on vacation, as you have to catch up when you return!

Hawaii was great.  I missed the autocross at Barber's Point NAS due to trans-
portation and logistics problems, but I did get my car-oriented stuff done.

I met british-cars lister Adam Frankel.  Adam was kind enough to take some
time out of his busy schedule to jaw with us at his home, even though he
had just returned from Chicago, was jet-lagged and had lots of work facing
him becouse he had been gone.  Right now I know EXACTLY how he felt.  His
Spitfire is coming along quite nicely.

I got to see the guy at Sunset Beach who sold the car to the guy I bought it
from.  He is indeed a space-conected guy.  He has worked for COMSAT at the
command station at the top of the mountain at Oahu's northern tip for 23 years.
The road up the mountain from his house is narrow, curvey, steep and paved.
He says it was a hoot in the Lotus.  I drove up there in a rented van.  Wow.
I would like to drive it in something sportier!  Great view of Sunset Beach
where the third part of the Surfing Tripple Crown (the World Cup) was being
held.  It was ineterresting to see the command station, as there are only
four of them in the world!

I saw John Shrum at British Auto, where the Lotus engine was rebuilt.  John
was friendly and helpful.  He gave me two British Auto hats, one for me and
one for his brother, who lives here in Saint Paul!

I never got a chance to get to the Lotus dealer.  There is none in the Twin
Towns right now, and I am not likely to be in Milwaukee soon!

Of course, the main reason I was there was to hear my father speak at the
observence of the 50-year anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.  Dad was
on the Ward, the destroyer which fired the first American shot of WW2.  He
always jokes that the Japonese got so mad that they sent a bunch of planes over.
Of course, the planes were already on the way.  If the Yanks would have
realized the significance of the submarine's presence, things may have been
different.

So, forgive the typos due this *@$@#@$# editor and send me mail if you like.
I just can't handle the full list til I get my own machine hooked up right.
Hoped that they would have taken care of it whilst I was gone, but it was not
to be.   I miss you all.

phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324