Pulsing Electrical System/ Brake Swaps

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Pulsing Electrical System/ Brake Swaps
From: neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca (Robert Neilson)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 91 08:52:41 PST
One of my cars (not an LBC ... but I thought I'd ask anyway) has this
"condition" in which the entire electrical system "pulses". By this I
mean that the headlights (and all other lights) pulse in tune with
something. The pulsing is related to engine RPM, but it isn't a direct
relationship (like at idle I might get 2 or three pulses per second).

The needle on the ammeter moves in tune with this as well.

Is this possibly some current that is induced by the HT wires? Or maybe
a fault in the alternator or reg.? The electrical system has been re-wired
at some point ... maybe there are resistors or some other little electrical
component that is missing?

======

Relating to the engine swap discussions ... I have a need to do a "brake and/or
suspension swap". The front drums on my MGA 1500 are just not going to be good
enough (in my opinion) to stop the car with its spiffy new tuned 1800.

I was considering throwing out the entire MGA A-arm (I think that's what they
are called), kingpin assemblies and brakes - in favor of the same from an MGB.

I spoke with a few people about this and none of them seem to positive. The
general feeling was that I should just beef up the existing suspension, and
find some brakes off a 1600 MGA (which are disks).

But I wonder - why not MGB brakes? Has anyone ever had the opportunity to look
at both the MGA disk and MGB disk brakes side by side? I'd be quite interested
in hearing what the differences are.

Is the MGA/MGB bolt pattern the same?

You thoughts are appreciated ...

Rob

Robert J. Neilson                Voice:    (604) 293-5414
MPR Teltech Ltd.                 FAX:      (604) 293-5787
8999 Nelson Way,                 Internet: neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca
Burnaby, BC, Canada, V5A 4B5               uunet!ubc-cs!mprgate!neilson