how can i determine my MG's s/n

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: how can i determine my MG's s/n
From: Victor Grubbs <victor@rolf.stat.uga.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 91 21:23:23 EST
folks,
 i've been slowly bringing an old MGB back to life. It had been parked
for a period of years before i got it and there were no papers involved.
(in GA, no title is needed for cars more than X years old.( i think X
is 15 )). anyway it has the 3 main engine and the refrigerator-style
door handles and i think it is a '64 model. BUT, the serial number is
in the 87000 range (GHN3L87XXX) which would make it a late '66. However
the body number is MGB037XXX which is consistent with mid '64.
  My theory is that somewhere along the way a previous owner swapped
number plates with a cherry '66 in order to enhance it's resale.
  Anyway is there any way to corellate the body number with the correct
(at least approximate) serial number?

thanks,
victor

victor@rolf.stat.uga.edu