Elan

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Elan
From: mason@ftp.com (Quark Mason)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 91 19:00:00 -0500
Miq,
Just because the new Elan uses a part of a japanese engine and a japanese
interior doesn't mean its a japanese econo rocket. I'll admit that the
$38000 price tag is too high, but I hear (from owners) that it's actually
a good car.
Lotus has a long history of not making parts that someone else already
makes - look at the original elan - cheapo frame made from sheet steel,
rickety fibreglass body, ford block (this doesn't make it a american
shitbox), Colin even skimped to the point of not even putting hinges
on the bonnet! Unlatch it and it lifts off. As I recall many of the rest
of the parts came off other cars - door handles, lights, &c. I'd bet that
if there were any decent japanese cars being made back when the old Elan
was designed Colin would've stolen parts from them too.