Re: I want to add another 2 pence to what I ahve said.

To: DWILSON@oregon.uoregon.edu, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: I want to add another 2 pence to what I ahve said.
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 91 10:40:15 -0800
Reading about people's thoughts about engine swaps, I think you first
AND MOST IMPORTANT decision is do you want a vintage car or a street rod.

If you want a vintage car, you can hop it up using period preferably factory
hipro parts.  If you want a street rod that will blow the doors off cars with
modern engineering, ether get a snake or build a kit car.  Most British cars
use old technology that was inherited from the car's ansestors.  British
sport cars were designed to be a kick to drive on mountain roads & were
competive in their day.  They can still be if you decide to make it a
serious race car.  But serious race cars are not neceearily the best for
commuting.

With a good kit car, you can add a range of engines, drive trains, brakes,
and suspensions, and you are forced to take a system's approach.

The Marauder Co in Illinois makes a Chevron B16 replica, a McLaren GT MK VI
replica,
a Lola GT MK III replica & others.  These are replicas and not fibre glass
bodys poped on a passanger car chassis. The McLaren bodys come off the
original factory molds. The McLaren replicas are so good that the McLaren
factory has issurd McLaren id plates to Marauder replicas built at the
Maruder factory.  If you want to blow the doors off someone's Japaneese
or German cookie cutter clone, do it right. A Lola GT replica with a V8
should be up to the job.  You wouldn't even have to touch your vintage car
for that.  There is a Ferrari P3 replica kit made in Brittin.  It nicely
accepts V8s & looks VERY nice.  If your goal is to blow doors off cars
you meet in the road, do it right!  If your goal is to own & drive a
vintage British car, keep that in mind when thinking about changes from its
original {I'm trying to build a factory TR Rally car look alike, which is
my street rod comprimise}.

TeriAnn
If you want slow, try a long bed Land Rover with a 4 cyl engine