TR-8 vs TR-5, was Re: Performance parts for MGB

To: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU
Subject: TR-8 vs TR-5, was Re: Performance parts for MGB
From: whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 12 Dec 1991 12:05 EST
>>[snip] [snip] [snip] [....Miata puffery deleted....]
>>My guess is a new Miata would beat all the Triumph's (most are not "new")
>>in the local area except the TR8's.
>
>Watch out for the TR-5 (UK-only petrol-injected TR-250).  Their
>stock 0-60mph time is actually _lower_ than the 8.4 second 0-60mph
>time for a stock TR-8.  You probably won't run across one though
>since they weren't imported to the states.

While not "officially" imported, there are several TR-5s
as well as several PI TR-6s in the USA.  Odds are that
one may show up periodically at the TRF Summer Party
and other major events.  I know of a specific TR-5
example here in NJ.  Others have shown up at various
earlier meets.

Most, probably all, of the TR-5s and PI TR-6s were
imported by individuals who somehow managed to
circumvent the obvious illegal aspects of the cars
relative to USA emmisions requirements.  One case, a PI TR-6
was brought here by a British national on a work permit,
they got the car through USA customs because the customs folks
presumed (incorrectly) that the car would be shipped back
to England when the individual left.  He decided to
stay and the car is in this country for good because
it has been sold to another individual.  The British
national encountered no problem registering the car
in NY state, so it has full USA title, etc. now.
Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl   (K2UNK)            ||  email
Bellcore, Morristown, NJ       ||   UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research) ||    or
201-829-2879 Weekdays          || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com