Re: Braking

To: autox@hoosier
Subject: Re: Braking
From: jwf@keps.kodak.com (Jim Franklin)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 91 09:49:15 EST
> I have seen a number of s/s hose failures.  They will fail because they
> are misinstalled, perhaps pulling at the fittings at limits of
> suspension travel, rubbing against suspension, etc.  They also have a
> shorter lifetime than rubber hoses.  I have never seen an OEM rubber
> hose fail.  Which is not to say that s/s hoses predictably fail and
> rubber hoses never do.

By the way, suffering complete brake failure is a truly unforgettable
experience.  I had a brake line (common steel) burst in my '67 MG
Midget on the Taconic Parkway in N.Y. as I started to brake for an
upcoming traffic light.  I pressed the pedal, everything was cool, then
the pedal went to the floor with a thump.  Boy, let me tell you, the
emergency sirens in your head go off all at once.
-----
Jim Franklin
jwf@keps.kodak.com / uunet.uu.net!keps.kodak.com!jwf