Re: Welcome to the list

To: british-cars@hoosier (british-cars)
Subject: Re: Welcome to the list
From: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 91 13:35:14 MDT
>This is a welcome to the new members of this list.  You will find that this
>list is different.  It is different because:

Nice work.  I added it to my generic "Welcome to british-cars" file
that I send out to the occasional lost soul looking for british-car
help.  This file has borrowed major bits from mjb's intro and now
Mike's.  It's meant to be a generic introduction file for either a
new member or an individual/club who may or may not know about
Internet.  I should note that the closing "No Flames" paragraph was
in there long before we were treated to that last bit of whining.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it better or clearer,
post away...

/\      Lawrence Buja           Climate and Global Dynamics Division
  \_][  southern@ncar.ucar.edu  National Center for Atmospheric Research
      \_________________________Boulder,_Colorado___80307-3000__________
--

     Welcome to the british-cars mail network!

  - The Scions of Lucas [SOL] is an international network of british
    cars enthusiasts dedicated to enjoying and maintaining the breed.
    Linked globally in real-time via the international computer networks,
    we discuss various sorts of things like daily dramas of owning the
    things, car maintenance and restoration and such.  Together, we
    provide an informal support system which ranges from sharing
    technical information and locating spare parts or even whole cars to
    swapping tales of adventure and daring-do.

  - The scope of this group is simple, discussion is open to any
    subject involving british cars.  Due to their large US import volume,
    much of the discussion tends to center around the Austin-Healey, MG
    and Triumph sport convertibles.  Currently about 200 folks are on the
    list, not all of them owning British cars, some just wanting to get
    info before they make the plunge.

  - You will find that british-cars is different from most lists because:
    1.  Almost everyone is having or has had serious hands-on experience
        with Little British Cars.  Referred to as LBC's.
    2.  The people who do not fall into category 1 above are genuinely
        interested in LBC's.
    3.  Like the news groups, not all you read here will be accurate.
        However *unlike* the news groups what you read here will be
        someone's very real attempt to help or inform.

How busy is this list?

  - The list averages about 15 to 20 messages per day, with a monthly
    total of about 1.25 megabytes of stuff flowing forth.  If the daily
    number of messages is too much, you can request to be put on the
    digest, which is simply all the day's mail concatenated into one
    long message, sent out at night.

  - Low-volume sublists have been created for certain specialties and
    locales such as TR-8s, colorado.front.range and sf.bay.area.

How do I join?

  - Access to british-cars mailing list requires a computer or terminal,
    a modem, and access to one of the wide area computer networks such
    as (Internet, Arpanet, WELL, UUCP, Compuserve etc.).  If you have
    received this message via e-mail, you already have access.

    british cars e-mail is carried over the computer network known as
    Internet.  Internet links many of the major universities, government
    laboratories and computer related commercial institutions
    internationally.

  - When you join the british-cars list, you are encouraged to introduce
    yourself and tell us a bit more about yourself.  For example, tell
    us about your LBC (Little|Leaking British Car|Convertible|Coupe)
    and any adventures that you've had finding, buying or owning it.
    Your LBC-related tales of treasures found, repairs, racing,
    rallying and any general misadventure are always welcome.

Are there any rules?

  - There are no formal rules.  However, be aware that your postings to
    this list go out to a large number of professionals and upper-level
    students internationally whose time is very valuable.  The quality
    of this network can only be maintained by the efforts and personal
    integrity of the individual members.  Over the years, this has
    resulted in some rather high standards being set and you are
    strongly encouraged to THINK before you write.  When you post do
    articles, please make an concerted effort to keep the volume low
    and the quality high.

  - Also, be assured that you are among friends here.  While constructive
    criticism is always welcome, particularly where safety is involved,
    please don't waste our time with inflammatory or null-content
    postings.  Public flames of other members are especially frowned
    upon.  If you have a problem with something or someone, it is
    recommended that you discuss it privately.