re: Rain phenomenon

To: 0003006623@mcimail.com
Subject: re: Rain phenomenon
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 91 10:18:01 PST
| John Lau asked about running thru a puddle and being surprised by it
| splashing up on his windshield, blinding him. Something perverse about me
| just enjoys doing this (and dealing with the car pulling right [usually the

Back in the 1950s the flood controle and dike systems in the south bay were not
what they are today, Alviso was regularly cut off at high tide, particularly in
winter. When the water was a foot or more over the road we (as teenagers) used
try to hit it fast enough to make it to the far side. So if the engine died of
wet
ignition (as it offen did) we would at least be on dry land while we dried it
out.
One day I was a passenger in a '50 Austin driven by a friend. The tide was
higher
then usual and the length of road under water consequently longer. Not to be
stoped
we took a flying run at full speed(65 or 70 mph). It was almost like hitting a
brick
wall. We hydroplaned part way then the car sunk down and slowed sharply as a
wall of
water came up over the car. We did make the other side, but we had failed to
close the
sun-roof and 50 or 60 gal of muddy water came over the windshield an onto our
laps.
I think the car was wetter inside then out. /dickn
  8^) It's true.