RE>seats in TR6

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE>seats in TR6
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 9 Dec 91 13:53:30
        Reply to:   RE>seats in TR6
Dean Zywicki asks about seat foam...

    A year or so ago, I rebuilt the seats on my MGA.  I bought the foam at a
foam shop.  It was special "seat foam", and was quite expensive.

    Seat foam can easily be cut with one of those reciprocating electric knives
that you use to carve the turkey on Thanksgiving.  If you accidently carve off
too much, you can stick it back together with spray contact cement.  Of course,
it's impossible to cut it precisely to the contour of the seat cover.

    Upholstery shops have this white fluffy stuff that initially is about an
inch thick, and can compress down to almost nothing.  A layer of this over your
foam guarantees that every nook and cranny of the seat cover will be plumped
out:  no wrinkles!

    You cover the white fluffy stuff with burlap, and pull the seat cover on
over the burlap.  The burlap creates a slippery interface between the seat
cover and the filling material, so that the latter doesn't get torn apart by
your body movements.

    For seat backs, there is a special cotton webbing that can be stretched
across the seat back to provide support for the foam-fluffystuff-burlap.
There is also special cardboard to form the back contour of the seat.  I
rebuilt my MGA seats with extra webbing and extra lumbar support; no more
backaches!

    - Jerry