RE>FYI article

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE>FYI article
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 6 Dec 91 09:28:09
        Reply to:   RE>FYI article
Greg Meythaler writes about the new CA registration ripoff...

**** Whenever I see or hear a news article about the big state budget deficits,
I *cringe*, because I know that auto registrations/fees are going to increase
somehow.  See, the State of California has only two major sources of income:
the state income tax, and automobile registrations.  Increasing the income tax
is politically dangerous, so that leaves the registrations.

    California's current budget deficit ostensibly stems from the general
economic situation.  Unfortunately, if and when the economy recovers, the new
taxes will still be with us.

      These <<budget-saving>> tax measures are nearly always passed near the
end of the legislative session, in a great hurry, since lawmakers tend to put
this kind of thing off til the last minute.  So we, the public, get no chance
to comment on them.  Nor are they ever subject to a general vote of the
population.  I don't remember ever getting a chance to vote on last year's
asinine <<no-op>> legislation, for example.

   BTW, Californians out there will be interested to know that an exception in
state no-op policy has been made for cars older than 25 ( 30? ) years.
This means that if you find a TR2 in some widow's barn under a tarp, you can
now buy it without paying 10 years of back registrations.  But you may have
some trouble getting the DMV droids to 'fess up to it.

     - Jerry