15x8 Panasports

To: british-cars@hoosier, italian-cars@cma.com, wheeltowheel@abingdon.sun.com
Subject: 15x8 Panasports
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@ee.rochester.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 91 12:17:36 EST
I just sent a similar message to the autocrosser's mailing list and the
porschephiles mailing list.  I apologize to those who are seeing it more
than once.

I'm trying to find 15x8" wheels for my Porsche 914-4.  Panasport will make
them, but they'll be way cheaper and be available way sooner if they can
make lots of them.  (They'd have to make them up new; there is no standard
15x8 mold, and the 3-piece is not available in 15".)

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested.  If I can tell them
that I know there are several people interested, they'd be more likely to do
it soon and do it cheaply.

At a rough estimate, the wheels would be about $250 - $275 each.  The offset
would be somewhere between 30 and 38mm, which works out to roughly a 5"
backspacing.  The bolt holes and center hole are drilled/machined after
casting, and the offset can be slightly changed by machining after casting.
I don't know for sure if they can do a 5-hole bolt circle, but they can
definitely do 4...  The Porsche circle is 130mm, which is rather large.

If you are interested, please reply and let me know.  Try to give me an idea
of how interested you are, and how many wheels you might want, and I'll try
to put it together.  I don't need commitment, just intention.  Let me know
if you want more information.

Thanks!
--
Mark Sirota - Department of Electrical Engineering Systems Staff
University of Rochester, Rochester NY