Valve Adjustment Gadgets

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Valve Adjustment Gadgets
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 5 Dec 91 08:09:41
   Valve Adjustment Gadgets
Re:  The vernier valve adjuster...

  Me: I WANT IT!  I WANT IT!

  Them:  No, Jerry, you can't have it.  All your money is gone to "home
Improvement".

   Me:  "No, it can't be... ( Sob, Moan, Whimper ) I want it....

   Maybe I can do without it.  Let's see, in my experience, valves need to be
adjusted to an accuracy of an eighth of a turn or so.  If I go up to my
well-adjusted car, I can find out how many turns from zero clearance each of my
valves is... Hopefully, they will all be more or less the same.  Then I can
note this down.  Or, I can pull out an adjuster, find out the pitch of the
thread, and calculate how many turns gets me my proper clearance.  Probably a
good sanity check on the first way...  Then, all I should need, is a
screwdriver with a pointer stuck to the side of it.

   - Jerry