Valve Noise

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Valve Noise
From: Greg Meythaler <Greg_Meythaler@ccm.hf.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 91 12:40:11 PST
>Whats' the reason that valves in older cars make that tic-tacking
>noise even if you adjust them to specification. All new cars make
>that electric motor type whirring noise when revved which sounds
>like everything is tight and new. The reason I'm asking this is that
>I recently rebuilt my Spitfire 1500 engine and try as I might I
>can't seem to get that one valve from ticking at operating
>temperatures. When the engine is cold it justs sings but as it
>warms up and the oil thins, this one valve starts its own song.

>Is there a fix to this?

Zahid

Either the rocker shaft is worn and/or the rockers are worn where they
          sit on the shaft.  A new shaft and rocker(s) are the
          solution.  My old TR-6 engine had this problem, and in
          looking around for used parts, I found out that the later
          1500 spitfire engine has the same rocker as the TR-6. Upon
          inspection of a bunch of rockers, most of the ones I'm using
          were from spit engines. Not sure why that is spits may have
          better oil pressure in the rocker shaft than a TR-6.  Take
          your's off and inspect if there are pits in either replace.
          Triumph didn't bush the rockers, I don't know if that is
          feasible or not.
                                   greg_meythaler@ccm.hf.intel.com