Valve Noise

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Valve Noise
From: zahid@serval.sps.mot.com (Zahid Ahsanullah)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 91 13:20:28 CST
Whats' the reason that valves in older cars make that tic-tacking
noise even if you adjust them to specification. All new cars make
that electric motor type whirring noise when revved which sounds
like everything is tight and new. The reason I'm asking this is that
I recently rebuilt my Spitfire 1500 engine and try as I might I
can't seem to get that one valve from ticking at operating
temperatures. When the engine is cold it justs sings but as it
warms up and the oil thins, this one valve starts its own song.
Is there a fix to this?

Zahid