more on compression

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: more on compression
From: muller@sunrise.alliant.com (Jim Muller)
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 91 12:07:14 EDT
First, a Victoria-British bashing session.  Their package came yesterday,
fastest delivery they've ever done for me.  But then, their record with me
(from our very limited dealings) has not been a hard target to beat. :-|

The "vacuum unit" described as being for a '77-'80 Spitfire is not even
close to useable; let's just say that it is an advance unit instead of a
retard unit.  The Roadster Factory's catalogue lists this part as for a
'77-'79.  Silly me for thinking it just *might* be adaptable to my CEI
distributor.  Even if I could fabricate a mount and if it was even mildly
close to the same calibration, I can't use an advance unit unless I turn
it around to push the distributor baseplate instead of pull it!  Well,
admittedly this was my experiment, but I should know better than blindly
to trust anything I read in a V-B catalogue; I figured that at least it
would be a retard unit.  TRF has told me the only way to get one of these
vacuum units is to buy a whole distributor.  No, thanks, but I shoulda'
known that if TRF doesn't have something, then V-B isn't likely to either.
I guess I'll be keeping that line permanently plugged until inspection time.

Yesterday I wrote:

> My Spitfire has the 1976 9.5:1 compression ratio instead of 7.0:1.

That should have been 9:1 instead of 7.5:1.  Still, I wouldn't've thought
9:1 was all that high...

...speedy!gerry then answered:

>I rebuilt a 1500 engine, and used 11:1 compression pistons and shaved the
>head, so I guess the compression is now up to 11.5:1.

Yipes, that up there.  At least, by stock standards.

>I started using 104+ octane booster, wow there's power in this engine

I've been avoiding this option, but maybe I should re-consider.

>I changed the jetting on the Weber carb

Yeah, well, I still have the stock Zenith-Strawberry, err, Stromberg. and
I've been avoiding hacking it too.

>Finally I switched to Champion N11Y plugs (these are colder than the
>standard plugs) and now the pinging has been eliminated.

Ah!  Interesting idea.  Thanks.  I hadn't really considered it.  The "correct"
plugs have always looked good, though I've checked them only once or twice
since the new engine went in.  Then again, I usually drive so as to avoid
that pinging, so they might never show much sign of overheating anyway.  I'll
have to try a colder plug.  Lessee, the original spec is for N12Y.  Will there
be much different between 12 and 11?

>BTW I mix my own octane booster using a 12 ounce bottle with 33% 104+ and
>66% Marvel Mystery Oil. I found this to be the best combination for my engine.

You carry a supply of this stuff around with you?  Is there any reason you mix
it like that?  Does it come with some sort of guidelines?  Blah, blah, blah...

Thanks,
Jim Muller