Re: Painting Rostyle Wheels

To: bcarter@gama.austin.ibm.com
Subject: Re: Painting Rostyle Wheels
From: sfisher@Pa.dec.com
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 91 10:48:27 PDT
Two things you should look for are masks and the correct silver paint.
Moss Motors used to sell the correct color of silver paint (which
they described as "darker than hardware-store silver," and they're
right).  I'm sure you can still get this from Moss, as well as probably
from TRF or the usual suppliers.  I don't know the paint code or paint
name.  I do remember that Moss had managed to get a batch of paints
made up to duplicate a number of traditional colors for items such
as wheels, engines, and other things that you might consider painting
at home rather than taking to a paint shop.

The other thing -- and I can't remember where I've seen this -- is a
painting mask that covers up one of the colors.  From the look in the
catalogue, it's designed so that you spray the silver onto the whole
wheel, then wait for it to dry and apply the die-cut mask.  Then you
spray the black portion.  (Might well be the other way round, but you
get the idea.)  I think I saw this in the Victoria British catalogue,
but I didn't commit it to memory since I've got wire wheels.

In any case, with these two things, some rustproofing primer and a
coarse wire brush on a high-speed drill you should be able to duplicate
the original look of your Rostyles.  You might think about having them
dipped or jet-washed (an engine rebuilding facility can do this for you
if you don't know where to start looking) to get them fully degreased
and to have some of the surface corrosion removed before painting.
Barring that, I spent yesterday using a PPG product called Acryli-Kleen
(I'm only guessing that they spelled it Kleen, but you get the picture)
that does a wonderful job of preparing a surface for painting.  Good,
if pricey ($25/gal) stuff.