Re: Camshafts

To: neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca (Robert Neilson) (Robert Neilson)
Subject: Re: Camshafts
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 91 10:58:33 PDT

| Does anyone know if I should be able to tell (visually) if there is a
| difference between 2 cams? I'd really like to know that I have what I
| want before I slide it in for good.
|
| Thanks,
| Rob

Rob
you will not be able to tell much about angle visually(2 to 4 degrees is
a big change in lobe center angle). However you can get a very rough idea about
the relative lifts of the two cam if you have any kind of caliper or micrometer.
Measure the cam lobe from the peak to the heel. Then turn it 90 degrees and
measure it from side to side. Subtract the second number from the first.
The resulting numbers are not exactly your lobe lift, but may be close enough
for
the sake of comparison. Lobe lift times rocker arm ratio = valve lift.
( maybe about 1.5 times very roughly) This is rough but more then good enough to
see if there is a significant differance.
/dickn
PS didn't they give you any specs with the new cam?