MGB door locks, speedo, & more

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: MGB door locks, speedo, & more
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 91 15:50:48 EST
Hi again!

Has anyone out there ever pulled and reinstalled door locks on an MGB?
I am planning to pull the locks from my parts car ('75 B) and put them in
my '74.  The previous owner had pulled the locks and claimed he was giving them
to me, however, I think he gave me the locks from his old parts car, hence the
key doesn't work.  I am looking for any caveats and things to watch out for.

Also, on a '74 MGB should there be a chassis id plate on the driver side door
sill?  It look's like there was one, but its missing, and my British Victoria
catalog makes it sound like they didn't appear there until '77.  I can't find
any of the id plates except commision number, so I haven't been able to match
the actual car number with the title yet.  Is this a problem?  I doubt this
will ever be worth anything as a collectible since it has parts from at least
3 different cars.

Also, I think the grill is from the '72 MGB GT the former owner used for
its engine, but I like the '74 grill better.  Anyone have a spare?

As for the speedo problem I was having, the problem is not in the speedometer.
I switched speedos and it still reads high.  Somebody suggested that I may have
a differential from an overdrive car, is there a number or anything on the
differential that would tell me this?  What are the pros & cons of having this
differential?  Is it worth switching?

Boy, I did it again, all I wanted to do was ask about door locks and I asked
about 10 other questions.  I sure must be a pain :-)

Bob
bobj@meaddata.com

P.S.  TCB - I won't hold your hoops bias against you.