forwarded from D. Stone

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: forwarded from D. Stone
From: pwcs!phile@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 13:25:12 CST
          Phil,
               Your friendly SMOG editor here, and yes, I
     recently have seen the adjusting screw in question, but
     since it appears that my postings to this frigging
     british cars mailing list always end up somewhere
     between the list and bounced mail limbo, I'll have to
     count on you to forward my reply if it's worthy.
          I just rebuilt the brakes on my Sprite, and in
     order to remove the adjusters completely you must take
     both the drums and the shoes off, as the adjusters come
     out through the front of the backing plates (wheel
     side). The reason these won't pass through the back
     side is that the hole in the piece of metal that goes
     across the adjusting side of the adjusting stud is
     slightly smaller in dia. that the threaded part of the
     adjusting stud. To me this would be because with the
     constant pressure of the shoes acting on the stud, the
     tendency could be for the stud to back itself out if
     it weren't for something (ie. the strap), to keep it
     from doing so.
          That's it, and if you have any hints on how to get
     my postings to post instead of bounce, I'd certainly
     appreciate it.
                   cheers-
                          Daren Stone
                          dstone@sc9.intel.com

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324