Re: B-C Newsgroup and BRG Miata

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: B-C Newsgroup and BRG Miata
From: akkana@moonwind.aux.apple.com (Akkana)
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 1991 11:52:22 PST
Mr. Spench writes:
> speak out against them).   The Miata is just like the Bugeye was 30 years ago,
> an inexpensive fun sports car.   Who cares if the designers listened to tapes
> of exhaust noises?   Does it make it a bad car?

I agree.  The Miata is a cute, fun little car that I'd think would
look very nice in BRG/tan (though IMHO blue suits it better).  And
personally, I get a lot of enjoyment out of listening to a car that
has a nice exhaust note (that's half the fun of Spitfires -- they may
not be fast but they *sound* so fast!) and I think it makes sense for
a car designer to pay attention to that (it's hard to get excited about
a sports car when it sounds like a Cadillac).  And the Miata is clearly
a tribute to the Elan, even if IMHO it falls far short of the original
in both looks and performance (though is still decent in both respects).

But, of course, I'm probably already considered a heretic on this list
for daring to own an Italian car even though it basically follows the
same ideas as British sports cars (and the Miata).  In my mind, the
important thing isn't where or when the car was made -- it's whether
it's nimble and fun to drive (and ideally also looks and sounds like
a sports car).  Isn't that what it's all about?

V'room, v'room,

--
        ...Akkana               (akkana@apple.com)