Frozen 1/4" brake adjuster

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Frozen 1/4" brake adjuster
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 10:48:22 pst
>Date: 14 Feb 1991   8:55 EST
>Subject: re: Frozen rear brake adjusters....
>
>No need to go to the trouble of squaring off the inside of a nut.
>If the adjuster is like most british-car adjusters, it is a square
>1/4 inch in shape.  Go to your toolbox and locate a 1/4" drive socket
>for (this is a guess) 7/16" bolt.  You'll need a 12 point socket for
>this to work.  You put the 12 point side of the socket on a 3/8"
>drive and you end up with a 4 point 1/4" square socket to mate
>with the adjuster.  If you have a good selection of 1/4" drive
>sockets, the perfect solution is an 8 point socket for a 3/8"
>square nut.

>Bill Sohl                      ||  email

Never having seen one of these adjusters I'm not sure if this is
relevant, but what the hell...  If the adjuster is 1/4" square and you
want to hold (or turn?)  it without rounding it's corners then the ideal
wrench to use is a spoke wrench since this is precisely the purpose for
which it was designed.  These wrenches have a very wide jaw, a close
tolerance fit, and a long handle for applying lots of torque.  I've found
that I've had to coax my spoke wrench onto 1/4" spoke nipples with a
brace hammer.  I've yet to round a nipple though I did have one badly
frozen one shatter.  These wrenches are available from Moss (385800) and
Snap-On (B1251A).  I opted for the Moss wrench because it only cost
about half as much as the Snap-On and is of adequate quality.
Interestingly enough, the person I got the Snap-On number from told me
that this wrench was originally designed to fit some Studebaker brake
component.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.HP.COM
CSX2282