Too much mail

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Too much mail
From: Timothy Lyle Smith <tsmith@plains.NoDak.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 13:28:28 -0600
  With all the talk about newsgroups and overflowing mailboxes I can offer
another solution, or hassle depending on how you look at it.  I have a
program that will reroute mail from various places to various other places
without putting it in your mailbox.  This applies only to Unix systems that
allow forwarding.  What the program does is capture the addresses from the
From, To, and Cc lines of the mail.  If any of those addresses match addresses
stored in a file, an action is taken with the mail.  The actions are file or
mail.  If the action is file then the mail is appended to a file that is
associated with the address in the address file.  If the action is mail the
mail is mailed to the associated address.

george@somewhere.else    {from} mail tom@elsewhere.anywhere
british-cars@encore.com  {to}   file /student/ndsu/ancient/smith/britcarsmail
british-cars@encore.com  {cc}   file /student/ndsu/ancient/smith/britcarsmail

In order to ease the confusion the above 3 lines are examples.  The first line
causes mail from george@somewhere.else to be rerouted to tom@elsewhere.anywhere.
The last to lines cause my mail from this mailing list to be put into the file
britcarsmail in my home directory.  None of the mail that matches these address
appears in my mailbox.  The order of precedence is from,to,cc or the from
address is used before the to address and etc.  If the program decides that it
can't put the mail anywhere else it puts it in your mailbox.

  If you want this program then send me some mail.  I won't guarantee that it
works 100% of the time as I have just completed it and am testing it on myself.

Tim