Re: cars painted BRG, Newsgroup

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: cars painted BRG, Newsgroup
From: barry@sybase.com (barry klawans)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 09:50:21 PST
> The Miata, whatever else it may be, is a knock-off of a Lotus design. If
> it is to be raced, what better way to pay tribute to the real designers
> that inspired it than to paint it in British racing colors? It's not as
> conceptually direct as the
> British Driver/British Team/British Car/British Racing Green
> idea, but it has the elements of good style.

Wow - a well thought out message on this subject.  I tend to agree - if Mazda
wants to make a pseudo-BRG Miata, let them.  What I object to is their
marketing department trying to sell the car as if it had a British heritage,
and calling 4,000 cars "limited productions"  Thats almost twice as many BRG
Miatas as there are TR-8's, of any color.  (Mine is "Poseiden Green" :-) )
Also, I feel it would be more appropriate to the tradition of British racing
cars and roadsters if the BRG model wasn't a fully loaded, maximum weight
model.  It should be a stripped down to essentials and light as possible model.
I can't imagine Triumph/MG/Lotus/etc putting extra speakers in the seat
headrest.  Why make a model that you advertise as being in the mold of the
old British racing tradition, and then make it as slow as possible.  Why
not put in an automatic while you are at it?

On Newsgoups - I'm against it.  A newsgroup would soon be swamped by people
telling us how unreliable our cars our, how terrible their friends much
abused old TR/MG was (especially when they never changed the oil) and how
stupid we all are to own such cars.  (And then there would be the sub-threads
arguing if Japanese cars are really better than contemporary American cars,
and how any self respecting muscle car could blow our cars off the road.)
As a mailing list, the only people who make the effort to get added to
the list are those of us who love British cars, and are supportive of our
fellow owners.  We are a much more closely knit group as a mailing list - lets
keep it this way.

Finally, for those of you aren't on the autocross list, you may be amused
and/or pleased to know that someone is getting ready to campaign a Morgan +8!

-Barry Klawans
barry@sybase.com