Re: engine oil in the tranny

To: british-cars-local@wsl.dec.com, microsoft!davevh@wsl.dec.com
Subject: Re: engine oil in the tranny
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 09:42:38 -0800
Dave says:
>An interesting tidbit along those lines is that the Lamborghini Miura
>combined its sump and gearbox.  I have heard it said that it did not
>work out; the 50 wt motor oil specified was too heavy for the engine
>and the additives in the oil were inappropriate for the gears.
>Now, back to cars we can afford ...

lamborghini was not alone in combining the engine sump & transmission into
a single oil resevour. This scheme was also used in the mini*, the MG1100, &
Austin America.  I had a friend who had a MG1100. He frequently road raced it
in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I think he averaged a transmission, engine combo
about every six months while he owned it. Either he was a little faster on the
gear change that the hydrolic clutch, or he was somewhat out of sync.
Ether way, he would get gear chips lose in the sump & they would score the
bejesious out of the crank. rods, cylinder walls, & rocker arm. When breaking
a transmission, he never seemed able to shut down fast enough to save the
engine from serious scoring.

Now back to other cars we can afford ...

TeriAnn