Re: What brand oil do you use?

To: Daniel J. Dasaro <djd@eos.arc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: What brand oil do you use?
From: banta@abingdon.eng.sun.com
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 90 10:20:13 EST
Motor oil is a religious issue to a lot of of people.  I use Castrol
all the time in all my British cars.  In the enigines I've torn down
or become intimate with the internals of, I've never noticed any oil
related problems.  I chose Castrol because they sponsor the WSC and
IMSA Jaguar prototypes.  How's that for a reason?

Re 20W50 in the gearbox: Use non-detergent oil only!  The detergents
in oils do nasty things to the synchro rings, somewhere between
gradual degradation and demonic posession, dending on who you talk
to.  I don't like my synchros to gradually degrade, let alone listen
to satanic voices, so I recommend non-detergent or just plain ol'
gear oil.

andy