Re: When you want to go racing ...

To: garnett@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Subject: Re: When you want to go racing ...
From: banta@abingdon.eng.sun.com
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 90 12:38:01 EST
Roger writes:
> Why? Are the 3 or so early rear ends I've got good for something
> special?

Yes.  Yes!  YES!  Racing.  They aren't as sturdy as the late ones,
but they weigh ~50 lbs less.  Some racers would forego breathing for
a month if it would trim 50 lbs off the car. Since I'm planning on
dumping the stock setup for an LSD real soon now, durability isn't
important.

Are you interested in getting rid of a usable one?  I could pay
shipping plus something to cover your obvious emotional attachment to
the item.

> Hmmm. I'm not sure how to read this. The OD should only actuate in
> 3rd and 4th. Even the manual tells you how easy it is to trash the
> clutches, etc., if you go into reverse with the OD engaged. Is this
> a 3 or 4 syncro trans? The newer OD is supposed to be beefer, but
> both are, uh, er, fun? I think I'd like to find an OD for our 74 GT road
> crusier.

It's a 3 synchro.  I know the OD isn't supposed to work outside of
3rd and 4th, but it apparently made a difference.  The switch for
that is supposed to be on the shift linkage isn't it (an aspect of
B's I've never dealt with before).  My guess is the switch is bad or
bypassed.

andy