TR8 ignition woes, continued

To: british-cars-local@wsl.dec.com
Subject: TR8 ignition woes, continued
From: barry@sybase.com (barry klawans)
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 11:36:46 PST
[For those that Scott just added to the west coast list a brief recap is
in order.  Ins hsort, I have a 1980 TR8 (w/ fuel injection) that is suffering
from intermittent ignition cuts outs.]

Well, I spent Sunday tearing apart the low-tension part of the ignition
system, and didn't find anything obviously wrong.  All the wires and
connections checked out, but there was lots of dirt inside the distributer.
I cleaned it all out, put it back together, and now it works even worse than
when I started...

I'm becoming convinced that the pick-up in the distributer is at fault, so
after several recomendations I'm going to rip the whole thing out and put
an optical ignition in.  I should have by this weekend, so I'll let you know
what happens.

I do have some questions for the more electronically minded of you.  The TR8
has a whopping big ignition capicator, which really surprised me.  I thought
ignition capacitors were used to prevent the electricity from arcing between
the contacts when the point opened.  What's it used for in an electronic
ignition, where there isn't a mechanical switch?  (Mine is pretty coroded,
so it could be at fault.)  I noticed a large resistor in the distributer;
Lucas didn't use a RC timing circuit in the ignition, did they?  Mostly
just curiosity; anyone know the answer?

-Thanks for all of the very helpful advice,

Barry
barry@sybase.com