re: MG oil pressure

To: british-cars-local@wsl.dec.com
Subject: re: MG oil pressure
From: jean%spock.usc.edu@usc.edu (jean hertzberg)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 90 18:49:39 PST
Roger Garnett requests more gory details on my 68 MGB engine rebuild in order
to diagnose the oil pressure readings, so:

     Basically it was short block stuff only. A lot of head work had been done
about five years ago, including valve guides, seat grinding, surface mill, and
a few new valves. The rocker bearings are not showing wear.

     Here's a list of the new parts put in the block: new oil pump, main, rod
and cam bearings, timing chain and tensioner, all new lifters, and rings.
     The machine shop work: removal of that hideous nut on the end of the
crank, and subsequent dissassembly and cleaning, cylinder hone, crank polish,
cam "reworking", top surface milling, and cam bearing installation.
     There was some question as to whether the cam bearings needed reaming,
or came with the correct tolerance, but the machine shop that installed them
checked the fit with the cam, and declared it within spec. This was at the
Keynon machine shop in San Diego, which employs the surliest machinists I've
ever met. However, the other shop I'd been dealing with (Garnett Auto Parts, by
the way,) admitted that they
sent their more demanding work to Keynon, and recommended them.
     The pressure relief valve parts are about 8 years old, and I've adapted
to the inverted (screw threads down) replaceable oil filter cannister, with the
pipe up the middle of the adapter.

     So, let me know what y'all think.

--------Jean@spock.usc.edu