Two-Door Hardtops (Was Not Re: Radiators, Vanity Plates)

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Two-Door Hardtops (Was Not Re: Radiators, Vanity Plates)
From: mit-eddie!sli.com!rdh@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Robert D. Houk)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 23:43:17 EDT
   Just as they have different terms for tools and car parts,
   British and American English have different terms for body
   styles.  I read a British magazine that had a review of a
   1955 Chevy Bel Air two-door hard top, and they thought that
   the hard top was popular because "it allowed the drivers to
   experience open-air motoring with the comfort and security
   of a solid roof when desired."  (Of course, that's dating
   myself; how many people here remember US two-door hard tops?)

You mean, like, my Mom's '57 T-Bird (Stepfather bought it new in
October, 1957; been in the family ever since...)? It's hard to
tell which car garners more looks - my olde Europa or my Mom's
T-Bird (at least I've never had anyone ask me if the T-Bird was
a kit car...).

Which segue's nicely into a off-the-wall and not veddy Brit-Car
[Damn Damn Damn I think I just sent a not-yet-finished copy out to
the net...sorry] question: when did California go to the Gold-on-Black
style plate? I always thought the ARC-311 plate on the T-Bird was the
original, but someone told me that California didn't go to that style
until the early '60ies.

                                        -RDH