MGB electrical alert

To: british-cars%alliant.alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: MGB electrical alert
From: "Teriann J. Wakeman" <mit-eddie!APPLE.COM!twakeman@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 18:31:32 -0700
Geee ... I thought the mail list was down ... guess not

I have been ignoring an electrical deamon in my '68 MGB intil last week.
First, the turn signals stopped working. I put in a new flasher & it overheats.
Hmmm says I.  "It will have to wait until the TR3A is back on the road.
Then, a couple of months later the petrol guage reads full all the time.
" I can live with this. It will wait until the 3 is back on the road"

The other night, all the lights went out about 9 PM on the freway on the way
home from work. "THis will not wait" I pulled into a service station in
Los Gatos & do some quick checking. If I turn the lights on, I get smoke from
under the passenger side door. "Hmmm" I drove it home next day when it was
day light, jacked the B up to discover melted wiring harness.

The factory tied the rear wiring harness, battery cable and brake line
together with aluminum tie straps. On mine there were three of them just after
where the wiring harness bent under from the fire wall.  After twenty odd
years of insulation rubbing against the straps, it wore trough. the first wires
caused deamons to appear & then high current conductors shorted.

I replaced about a foot of wiring harness, a destroyed head lamp switch and am

an in the market for a '68 turn signal assembly and a four way flasher switch
that had a melt down.  But the car is on the road again with all but the
four way flashers functional.

I might suggest that MGB people put their car on jack stands, remove the
metal tie wraps, inspect & repair any damage then replace the tie wraps with
nylon tie wraps.

TeriAnn
{I have still had more problems with Bosh systems}