Re: Impending Frogeye purchase - HELP !!!

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Impending Frogeye purchase - HELP !!!
From: mit-eddie!SGI.COM!miq%chromavac.csd.sgi.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 90 07:28:10 PDT

>In around 10 days we're going to be looking at a frogeye in need of adoption
>:-)

Congratulations!  As the owner of 1 1/2 (the race car is really a '62, but
it has the older bonnet) let me be one of the first to welcome you.

>The reason I'm mentioning this is - I haven't a clue about frogeyes. I have
>a GT6, so I know roughly where to find the engine (In the front right ?) but
>I haven't reached the guru status of rebuilding it yet.
>
>Anyway this is what we know about the car.
>
>1959 ex-florida re-import (I'm in the UK), Easy restoration, all steel,
>     1275 engine and g/box, front discs. hood is complete. cost 2200 sterling.
>
>Now as to the bodywork ... what areas to check ?

Look inside the boot (with a flashlight, its best to either be real limber
or have a munchkin help you out) for signs of damage from accidents and
rust near the supports.  Since the Mk I doesn't have a lid, its very easy
to hide damage there.  Check how the bonnet fits, does it latch correctly?
If not be careful about driving fast on windy days, if it is still hinged
at the windscreen, it could flip up and smack you on the noggin.  New
bonnets are hard to find and cost about $1500 for NOS.  As with any 30+
year old car, look in the wheel wells, door jambs, and behind the side
covering inside the boot for signs of impending doom.

>What costs megabucks to replace ?

4 syncro transmissions $320, the reduction gearbox for the tachometer $95 (if
its still mechanical, many folks replace it), the bows for the top are
impossible to find at any price.  Basically its more a matter of finding
the hard-to-find stuff than money.

>Does the Mk1 lend itself to an engine swap with a midget ?

The one you are looking at has already had such a swap, '59's came with a
978cc engine, going to the 1275 and disc brakes is a very common upgrade.
Sprites and Midgets are the same hardware with different badges.  Just
remember that Sprites are one generation older (ie Mk II sprite == Mk I
Midget).

>Help
>
>Iain McWilliams            mcwill@inmos.com  or  mcwill@inmos.co.uk

OK Scott, what did I miss?

"Mister! Hey mister! You lights are popped up, but they aren't on!"
        "Huh?  Oh gee thanks...<sigh>"
                                An ignorant good samaritan and me in my Bugeye
Miq Millman -- miq@sgi.com or {decwrl,pyramid,ucbvax}!sgi!miq  415 335 1041