re: tight lug nuts

To: Alliant.COM!british-cars@beaver.cs.washington.edu
Subject: re: tight lug nuts
From: mit-eddie!beaver.cs.washington.edu!microsoft!davevh@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon Sep 17 10:38:54 1990
|  After struggling with over-tightened lug nuts after new tire purchases,
|  on more than one occasion, I've often thought: What would my wife do
|  if she had a flat out on the highway?.  I've had to use pieces of pipe
|  as extensions to "crack" the nuts loose. NEVER AGAIN! next time I'll
|  tighten them myself.
|
|  Happy Healeying.... Duane  WALZER@ENP.PRIME.COM

When I bought my Lotus, two of the lug nuts were stripped.  The torque
spec on them is 50-55 lb-ft, and they strip at about 60-65.  When I
bought new tires, I insisted they tighten the lugs by hand with a torque
wrench; the installer commented that it was a good thing I mentioned it,
because his air wrench is set at 90.

Dave