Boulder article

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Boulder article
From: mit-eddie!ames.arc.nasa.gov!ssi!coventry!rmb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Keptin Komrade Dr. Bobwrench III)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 90 15:10:05 CDT
        Well the response has been kinda impressive, so here 'tis.
Permission is graneted to use all or part of it in any club publication
so long as I get a copy!

        If there are any factual errors (Those who were there...) lemme know.
I wrote it from my notes, but those are not always the most legible things
in the world.....

        Anyway, here 'tis:

                       Westward Ho!
           Or Bob Goes to Boulder for 1990 NATC.

     Well, VTR national 1990 is finally over.  We've  gotten
together again and survived despite driving hundreds of TR's
from all  corners  of  the  U.S.   and  Canada  to  Boulder,
Colorado.

     First the facts. The 1990 VTR/NATC  was  held  Aug  1st
through  the 5th at the Harvest Clarion hotel in Boulder Co.
Boulder is a relatively small  city  just  north  of  Denver
tucked  right  up  into  the foothills of the Rockies.  Look
east and you see the plains, look west, an you see the sheer
rock  wall  of  the  Flatirons  going up probably a thousand
feet. Spectacular! The convention gathered over  600  people
and nearly 340 cars.

The Trip Out

     Lizbeth and I were planning on doing some damage  again
this  year  @  the autocross, so we spent the weekend before
the trip getting ready. Getting ready included  building  an
awning  for  out  @ the racecourse, mounting up 2 new tires,
and packing the trailer. "Trailer!?" you say? Yup,  trailer.
I borrowed a 4'x 5' utility trailer from a coworker to throw
all the tools, tires, and luggage in. A quick hack with some
U  stock  and  we  had fashioned a trailer hitch which bolts
into 3 conviniently provided  threaded  holes  in  the  back
bumper.  Worked like a charm!! Trailer was low enough to see
over, but big enough to cover everything. And best of all, I
didn't have a spare tire as a codriver!

     So Monday we headed out just after  lunch.  Headed  out
across Wisconsin, got to Minneapolis, made a left and headed
south to Des Moine, Iowa.  As  I  think  I've  said  before,
northern  Iowa  is  kinda pretty. Lots of low rolling hills.
Reminds me of the Syracuse area. Once in Des Moine, we  hung
a  right  and headed out into the plains.  Made it as far as
Omaha and stopped for the night. Got up the very next  morn-
ing  to  tackle the bulk of the drive. Nebraska. Seemed like
we were in Nebraska for 2 or 3 weeks  that  day.  But  'long
towards afternoon, a sign marked 'Colorado' popped up in the
distance, we made a 15 degree left and aimed the lights  for
Denver. 'Bout 3 hours later we turned off the highway onto a
little side road and headed out across the foothills in  the
general direction of Boulder.

     Rolled into downtown Boulder and couldn't remember  the
name  of  either  of  the  hotels. Ah well, they're near the
university somewhere. Finally  spotted  another  TR-6  in  a
hotel  parking  lot,  (after  having driven past the Clarion
twice without noticing all the  TR's.....)  turned  in,  and
discovered that I was even at the hotel I was supposed to be
at. Since the Clarion  was  a  little  high  priced,  I  had
decided to split a room at the 'alternate hotel' which was a
little cheaper, with one of the  british-cars  mailing  list
folks,  the  proprieter of the Fat Chance Garage and Brewery
and driver of a white TR-4, Mark Bradekis. As it turns  out,
quite  a  few of the attendees including TRF was bunked down
at the Holiday Inn. Made for  interesting  evenings  at  the
bar.

Wednesday - Registration & Pool Party

     Since I got in a day early, I was up and registered the
next  morning  by  about 10:30. Started running into folks I
knew  from  the  last  2  years  right  away.  Was  horribly
embarassed  by  how  many  names I had forgotten, but once I
started seeing people with their  cars,  it  began  to  come
back...  Made a quick impromptu run down to Colorado Springs
(about 70 miles due south through the foothills)  with  Jeff
Rust  and some other friends from Ontario at 'a brisk pace'.
Had a blast. Got back just in time to wander in to the patio
party and meet everyone else.

     Spotted Mark @ the patio party,  grabbed  a  couple  of
beers,  and had an impromptu british-cars group meeting. Met
Chris Kent and So Susan, dragged Bill Sohl over, as well  as
John Lye. Now to understand, I talk to Mark, Bill, Chris and
John nearly every day, but Bill is in N.J.,  Mark  in  Utah,
Chris  in  northern California, and John is in St. Louis. So
we don't get to actually see one another often. In fact, I'd
only ever actually met Mark & Bill before.

Thursday - The Autocross

     Since the autocross was scheduled  to  begin  the  next
morning  bright and early at 9:00 am, they were running tech
out in the lot @ the Clarion. Got 'Lizbeth all checked  out,
but  had  to go to the autocross chairperson to clarify that
Yokohama A008R's were in fact street tires and didn't put me
into  modified  class.(remember  this,  it becomes important
later....There will be a  quiz)  Got  that  taken  care  of,
grabbed  the  rest  of the folks, took a look at 'our' cars,
and headed out to dinner.

     Got up to a cloudy and cold Thursday morning.  Gathered
Chris  up  (too  early  as  it  turns out - sorry Chris) and
headed out to the  track.  "Track?"  Yup,  track.  RMTC  had
rented  the  racetrack  at Mead for the day with the general
plan that we run the autocross in the  morning  (3  runs  no
less)  and  then have open track in the afternoon. Had there
been some remote semblance of  organization  it  might  have
been  a  distant possibility. But alas, the organization was
pretty thin. After setting up the official  SOL  (Slaves  Of
Lucas,  as  we  on  the  british-cars list tend to call our-
selves) pits complete with 16' x 20' awning we trundled over
to the driver's meeting.

     The meeting consisted of a few Do's and Don't  as  well
as  the  basic plan for the day. Once it was over, they said
"Ok, everyone line up". Well that approach works  fine  with
10  or  20  cars, but when you have over 125 TR's it doesn't
work so well. Almost immediately, the line was well past the
SOL  pit,  so  I  figured, I'd just wait till it went down a
little and hop in line.  In the meanwhile, there were things
that  needed  to  be  done  to  get  the car ready. Tires to
change, carbs to tune, tweaks to make. But  the  line  never
got any shorter. As noon started to approach, it looked like
the last of the folks were making  their  first  run,  so  I
managed to get in line and head out for the track.

     The course was a big open one.  It  used  most  of  the
track  and came in at just under a mile long. It was a quick
run from the Start line through a light  left  and  a  quick
right 90 degree sweeper. This put you straight into a set of
offsets and headed for a very sharp right  90  degree  bend.
The  exit  lead  into  another  slightly  confusing  set  of
offsets. Then you were on the backstraight proper.  To  keep
the  speed  down,  the  put in a 14 cone slalom that reached
2/3rds of the way down the straight. Once you were good  and
seasick,  another  very sharp right lead into a narrowed but
light turn onto the main straight. From there all the way up
to pit in was wide open. I was doing somewhere in the vicin-
ity of 80 across the start finish line. It was fast.

     Pulled off course and around into the pit. Pulled  what
started  to be a quick tire swap with a friend who wanted to
see what A008R's were like on a TR-6.  Ended up stripping  2
lug  studs  and had to clean what was left out with a needle
file. It wasn't pretty. But it  was  a  good  thing  that  I
didn't get run number 2 in until well after 2pm.

     Given the lack of  organization,  and  the  approaching
rain,  it  became real clear about 3pm that we were going to
get no more than 2 runs in altogether and that it was  going
to  rain  Real  Soon.  Pure  Luck. The last 3 or 4 folks got
their last run in in the rain and then it started  to  pour.
All  the  not-so-serious  folks packed up and ran home. That
left about 8 of us die hards after the 10 minute rain  ended
and  the  sun  came  back  out.  Then it was time to play in
traffic.

     They cleared the cones off of the course and opened the
back  section  that had not been used for the autocross. The
track manager lead us around for about 10  minutes,  brought
us  back  in and said, "Ok guys, stick together and no pass-
ing, but otherwise just have fun". We had  a  blast.  I  was
very  clearly  the  most  powerful car out there with Mark's
TR-4 close behind. How badly I wanted to pass the  MkI  Spit
in  front  of  me.  Sigh.   But  all in all, we got about 45
minutes of track time. It just couldn't  be  beat.  Finished
up, packed up, and headed back to the hotel and dinner.

Friday - Rallye and Funkahna

     Got up the next morning to look for the mystery 'clunk'
that had bothered me the day before and to replace the 2 lug
studs that were fried. This meant skipping the  rallye,  but
it was kinda fun to have TR-6 scattered all over the lot and
kibittzers who knew what it all was.

     About 3:00 the funkahna got started.  This  traditional
event involved driving about 20 yards around one turn blind-
folded (with the aid of your navigator), stopping and chang-
ing  a  spark  plug  in a head on a table, jousting 3 tennis
balls off of pylons, fishing a soda out  of  a  cooler  with
hook  &  string,  driving  in a circle holding onto a string
attached to a central pylon, running  over  2  strategically
placed  balloons,  and  stopping,  getting out and hitting a
horn.

     After watching this for 5 or  10  minutes  I  convinced
John  to navigate while I drove Mark's car. Complete with 8"
wide  50  series  tires.  Doesn't  turn  like  my   car   at
all.....While  we  were  in line, we came up with the bright
idea of doing it in full fireproof  drivers  suits,  gloves,
helmets,  etc.  It  was  a blast. Especially the blindfolded
part. See I had paced it out earlier...  I told John to tell
me  when  to  turn. The starter said 'go!' and I punched it.
Mark's TR-4 accelerates quite nicely. John yelled 'TURN!', I
twitched the wheel counted to one and hit the brake. Took us
about 2 or 3 sec for a section of the  course  most  of  the
rest  crawled  through..... Much applause. But unfortunately
we hit 3 cones we  shouldn't  have  at  10  seconds  apiece,
dropped a tennis ball (2 sec penalty) and missed one balloon
(5 sec penalty). Finished to thunderous applause  and  lot's
of  laughter.  We  had fun and thought no more of it, it was
time to head up the mountain for the Autocross awards.

     As we finished up the funkahna, I was approached by one
of  the  convention  organizers  who  wanted to sound me out
about moving my car from Stock  to  Modified  class  in  the
autocross  since  I  had beaten every other stock TR-6 by at
least 9 seconds. The next closest car in my class was a  TVR
up  in  the  1.23 range and my fast run had been a 1.14.608.
When I inquired 'Why' the response was that I was using race
tires.  Hmmm  remember  this  had been cleared up earlier? I
though so too and pointed this out. "Well,  we'll  see"  was
the  reply. After a few other talks it turns out that moving
me out of stock class moved aforementioned organizer from  a
third place trophy to 2nd and one of his buddies from 4th to
a 3rd place trophy. Start to smell a rat?  I  was  a  little
upset at the after the fact rules change and had a word with
the other convention chairperson. "We'll get it  cleared  up
and  let  you  know  before the awards" was the reply. Well,
they never did talk to the autocross chair, and  didn't  get
back to me at all. I found out that a TVR had won stock TR-6
class while my stock TR-6 had won TR-6 Modified  class  when
the  trophies  were handed out. Not a happy puppy. But Chris
Kent took a 2nd place in Stock TR-4, Mark  1st  in  Modified
TR-4,  John  Lye a 1st in Under 2.2 Prepared class, and Kirk
Beucher a 3rd in Under 2.2 Prepared.

Saturday - Concours, Panoramic photo, and Banquet.

     Well  after  Friday  night,  Saturday  at  8:00am  came
entirely  too  early.  We  were  to drive over to one of the
University fields to line up for the photo  which  would  be
taken  "Promptly  at eight". Riiiiiight. Well, at 8:10 I was
still in line in the lot across the street where  they  were
prestaging  us.   But they managed to get all the cars lined
up and have the picture taken about 8:30. My copy arrived in
the  mail just earlier this week and I must say it is rather
well done. The cars parked on the grass and the mountains in
the background make for a really spectacular picture.

     Once the picture was done, we headed across the  street
for the concours. They lined the cars up more or less in the
pattern of the  British  flag,  though  not  separating  the
colours,  just  using the line pattern. There were some ter-
rific looking cars out there. Over 75 TR-6's alone,  several
long door TR-2's, just bunches of TR-3's, but a bit light on
the Spitfires and TR-4's. But most definitely the hit of the
show  was  the  1940something 2000 Roadster. A gorgeous res-
toration that had been finished only days before the conven-
tion started.

     Once we all departed from the concours, it was time  to
go  and  get  ready  for the banquet. Many thanks are due to
Darlene Turner who insured my  presentability  by  taking  a
decent  iron  to  my  otherwise  rather wrinkled french cuff
shirt.  Anyway, we all managed to make it over to  the  Ban-
quet  site in the double decker London bus in time for a few
cocktails before  it  was  time  to  begin.   And  amazingly
enough,  the banquet was rather smoothly done, though I hate
to think what it would have been like if they had thrown the
autocross  awards  in.  As it was, it was 10 minutes shorter
than the 1989 banquet.

     Despite the best efforts on the part of  all  the  team
SOL, we amassed quite a pile of trophies on our table by the
end of the evening. Aside from the autocross trophies we had
brought  along  to  have Ken Richardson sign, we collected a
trophy for second place in  the  funkahna!  There  was  some
serious shock about the table when they called out our names
and announced that we had missed 1st place by  not  a  whole
lot.  And that was after over 30 seconds worth of penalties!
Ah, well, we had all but forgotten about it. I  think  there
should  be  an award for the most novel method of completing
the funkahna next time.  Something  akin  to  the  3  muddy,
grungy  tennis  balls  Andy  handed out in '89.  My personal
favourite was the car that the  navigator  got  out  of  and
jumped on the balloons.

     Probably the biggest hit of the banquet was  the  slide
show that they put on just before the awards. Some folks had
gone through the entire 3 days with cameras and had  a  ter-
rific  selection of shots that reflect more on the spirit of
the convention more than anything else I have ever seen.  It
was  full of pretty cars on the tours, rallyes, at the auto-
cross, and the concours. Ton's of shiny fenders and  brilli-
ant smiles.

Sunday and the Long Trip Home

     Come Sunday morn, it was time for everyone to saddle up
and drive home. Except for your intrepid Midwest editor how-
ever, who was due to catch a plane at 4:00 and go to  Dallas
for  a  week  and  come  back to Boulder and pick up the car
driving back across the great upper Midwest. Anyhow, we  all
gathered for breakfast and had a good farewell. It was kinda
sad to see everyone leave, but there were many  promises  of
'Next  Year  in Kentucky!!!' I can't wait...But first I have
to get the engine compartment cleaned out, and the new head,
and the reupholstry kit, and..... Hope to see you there!