TK-7 octane booster / lead substitute

To: british-cars@alliant.com, porschephiles@bcm.tmc.edu, autox@hoosier
Subject: TK-7 octane booster / lead substitute
From: kent@wsl.dec.com
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 90 15:13:46 PDT
I mentioned seeing an ad for TK-7 a few weeks back. I called the folks
up, and they sent me some literature. It claims to both increase
effective octane and fuel efficiency and decrease valve recession
and emissions. It's apparently been tested by various magazines and
labs and is highly thought of by the BMW gas testing folks.

(Let's see here, legal for use in CA, no alcohol content, test comparing
87 octane unleaded + 1/10 oz TK-7/gal and 92 octane unleaded showed that
the TK-7 blend "consistently provided 4.7% more horsepower at the
peak of the power curve". Another test was apparent octane with
91 octane and 105 octane for reference, the 91 octane + 1/8 oz TK-7 yielded
97.5 apparent octane, and 1/4 oz yielded 100.9 AO.)

It was invented by an Israeli who is now the head of the EPA's council
on lead substitutes.

The main claim seems to be that it causes more complete combustion
by releasing addiion oxygen, as well as that it leaves a
"synthetic lubricant residual which provides top cylinder lubrication".

Anyway, there are three pages of this. Get your own copy by calling
(207) 338-5600. It costs $21.00 for a six-pack of five ounce containers;
the recommended dosage is 1/4 ounce per gallon. They also have
formulations for diesels, two-strokes, and racing applications.

(Oh, and if you really like it, they'll see it by the gallon or the tank car.)

Seems like it might be worth a try, since burning leaded gas really
isn't nice for the atmoshpere. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

chris