Spit info?

To: british-cars%alliant.alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET,
Subject: Spit info?
From: Dan Mutchler <mit-eddie!RELAY.CS.NET!mutchler%ebay.sun.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 90 13:23:26 PDT
//I recently bought 2 Triumph Spitfires, 1977 and 1974.  The 74 is
//in the best condition so I am intending to restore that one.  My
//dilemma is that I have 3 engine blocks, 2 - 1500 cc, and 1 - 1296 cc,
//all of these have warn cranks and it looks like they have all been
//turned once before.  I am looking for some general advice:
//
//1st - There seems to be very little difference between the 1296 and
//      the 1500.  All I've seen is that the pistons are cupped and
//      the crank is heavier on the 1500.  The block is the same, the
//      connecting rods are the same, and the piston diameter is the same.
//      How did they come up with the extra 204 ccs?
//
The stroke on the 1500 was increased to get the extra displacement.
The 1296 was a bore increase over the original 1100 cc with a new
head.

//2nd - If all my engines need the same amount of work, which one is
//      the best to repair?  From what I've seen the 1500 is more prone
//      to spin a bearing than the 1296.  Is this true?
//
The 1500s do have a history of tearing up bearings, particularly the
#4 rod bearing because oil doesn't get there. I've been told, and my
restoration includes an oil cooler that is supposed to help this
problem tremondously.

I'm trying to remember the years, but I believe that
74 was the start of the 1500 engines. The 1500 certainly has better
torque than the 1296 and will therefore be more enjoyable in day
to day driving.

//3rd - Has anyone had any bad experiences with mail order cranks?
//      Are there any reasonable machine shops in the Boston area.
//
Sorry, no help here. My crank got a way with a good polish.

//5th - I am leaning toward using the 1296 even though this engine isn't
//      original, I have a set of SU's from the 1296 that may run better
//      on this engine than on the 1500.  (Is this true?)
//
Don't know about the carbs, but as I said early, the 1500 has better
torque with the same HP, so I would go with the 1500 for my money.

Dan Mutchler                       | ARPA/Internet:  mutchler@EBay.Sun.COM
Sun Federal System Engineer        | UUCP:           ...!sun!mutchler
Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art.
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle