SU's, 1800's

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: SU's, 1800's
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 09:20:48 EDT
OVR FOVNDER Sez:
>Grandfather's ... got the smog type carbs... jet assembly is hidden in an
>enclosed box below the damper mechanism.

HIF4's. I've been meaning to do up a revised SU saga, now that I have
a set of HIF's. 'Cept that I took them off and installed HS4's on the
74, so it'll have to wait till I put the 71 back together with them.

>the choke cam that lifts the idle screw.

On the HS anyhow, this should only be true when the choke is engaged.
It can cause problems when it doesn't release completly. I can't
'member what the HIF has for an Idle adjustment, exactly. HS has
an Idle screw.

L. Buja asks:
    >a fresh engine for my '76 Spit 1500
    >It's a 1800cc in an Austin Marina
 >Vinnie says it's the last iteration of the engine type which is
 >currently in the Spitfire and should drop right in.

Vinnie is WRONG. The "Land Crab's" 1800 is the 1800 "B" series, almost
the same as in an MGB. (downgraded) The Later Marinas were Front Wheel
drive even, for those of you with perverted conversion ideas.
The Austin "B" series 1800 would be quite a job to squose into a
spit.
      Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
        The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."