Patches (put up or shut up)

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Patches (put up or shut up)
From: Lawrence Buja <mit-eddie!CC.UTAH.EDU!ccm0b%PURCCVM.BITNET@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 1990 15:19 EST

 Patches - Great Idea!!    Lets do it.

    As luck would have it, I just happen to have an old buddy who
 runs a patch factory back in my home town.  They make the patches for
 a large number of regional law enforcement, scouting and automotive
 groups.  They do a nice job and will also put them on hats if so
 desired.  So, unless someone else wants to do it, I'll volunteer to
 handle the price estimate and ordering end of it.
    rec.motorcycles Dezidens(sp?) of Doom seems to offer a good model
 for how to handle the ordering.  As I remember how they did it:

  -A design was collectively arrived at and bids were solicited.

  -Their patches priced out at about four dollars plus change each.

  -Orders were taken at $5.00 per patch until there were enough to
   economically commission a run (~100 I think).

  -Checks were held until the patches were physically put in the mail.

  -All excess money was donated in the groups name to some worthy
   motorcycle related charity or museum (this turned out to be a
   substantial amount).

    They made one initial run, then had to make a subsequent run to
 keep up with demand.  The one change to this that I will like to
 impliment for us will be that each order should be accompanied by a
 picture of you, your SO(s) and your LBC.  The resulting photo-album
 will then be mailed out on a mailing list made up from the incoming
 pictures.  Those who don't want to order a patch but want to see the
 album need just sent a picture.  Finally, we will be able to see what
 all the other SOLers whom we've been talking over the nets with for
 the last few years really look like.  The only rule will be that you
 will have to send a picture to get on the mailing list.
    If anyone wants to suggest any mods to this procedure, please feel
 free to do so.  So, let's decide upon a final design.  Then I can get
 some bids, one for just patches and another for hats+patches, and
 report back.

    Just to put some brit-car discussion into the two long winded
 posts I've just made, let me continue....
    I think I may have located a fresh engine for my '76 Spit 1500
 which is rusting comfortably out next to the house with a cracked
 block.  It's a 1800cc in an Austin Marina with a broken transmission.
 Vinnie says it's the last iteration of the engine type which is
 currently in the Spitfire and should drop right in.  It's in Illinois,
 so I haven't had a chance to even look at it yet.  Can anyone tell me
 whether or not it's a wise thing to pursue this engine?

                                      Lawrence Buja
                                      ccm0b@vm.cc.purdue.edu