Shake, rattle and roll

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Shake, rattle and roll
From: mrosneck@apd.MENTOR.COM (Mark Rosneck)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 09:32:28 PDT
I have had a nagging problem for quite a while with my 74 MGB involving a
vibration in the "steering wheel" (ie: All I really know is that the steering
wheel vibrates pretty hard under various conditions.)  I recently put brandy
new chrome wire wheels and new rubber on the car which eliminated probably 70%
of the problem.  There is now very little shake up to 50 MPH or so.  At this
point the wheel begins to shake as I increase the speed.  When I reach a steady
speed the shake almost totally quits after maybe 5 seconds or so.  Changing
speed seems to bring the shake back on and it takes another 5 seconds for the
shake to quit.  It seems like the car has a mind of its own.  Which, of course,
it does.  My next stop is going to be the U-joints since it seems the shake
occurs under load.  Any other ideas or thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark Rosneck
(503) 626-1340
Mentor Graphics Corp., 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton OR 97005
...!{sequent,tessi,apollo}!mntgfx!mrosneck   OR   mrosneck.MENTOR.COM