Trunnions & TRs (or: how I got confused after scraping the mud off)

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Trunnions & TRs (or: how I got confused after scraping the mud off)
From: adrian@cindy.Altos.COM (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 90 10:17:04 PDT
Folks,

I'm in the midst of rebuilding the front end of my TR4, and have hit a
minor snag in identifying what trunnions are on the the thing.

Now, according to the Moss & Roadster Factory catalogues, the trunnions
from the TR2 until early TR4 had 0 degrees castor, and then switched
to a 3 degrees castor with a left & right version. (The TR4A has a different
design).

I have one trunnion marked "PTNo 5L02202 EW" & another marked as
"PTNo 5L02202R EW". I presume that my trunnions are mixed up?!

Now - my 0 castor trunnion is shot (or at least, the pin is), and so
I intend to replace it with a 3 degree trunnion to give me a matched
pair. As my TR4 is an early car built prior to this change point
are there any hidden gotchas in doing this?

Now, those of you who have managed to persevere to this point will probably
realise that I dont fully understand castor, camber, and so on. Could
someone enlighten me?

        thanks,
                Adrian
                        adrian@cindy.altos.com