"Re: SOL identifier"

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: "Re: SOL identifier"
From: mit-eddie!ames.arc.nasa.gov!ssi!coventry!rmb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Keptin Komrade Dr. Bobwrench III)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 17:35:52 CDT
------------------ Begin Forwarded Mail ------------------

>The only problem I have with any of the proposals so far is putting Alliant's
>name on anything.  I submit that is *not* a good idea, and Alliant may not
>like the idea even if we do like it.  Just SOL is enough to identify ourselves
>to each other...it's like a semi-exclusive society - those in the know, know,
>and those that don't, don't know what they don't know, if you know what I mean.

        Good point!  But I think TeriAnn said it would be neat to have
        some connection with "computer" on the design, and I agree.  Also, how
        else will lone Britcar freaks who see the patch/tshirt/sticker at
        a convention know that there is a mail-list on line, other than by
        seeing an email address?  We want to welcome anyone who can email!
        True, we probably shouldn't use "Alliant," but can we think of
        something else?  An abbreviated/generic email address like
        ...!british-cars?  Or how 'bout a network cable in place of
        the lightening bolt?  (too hard to tell it apart from other cables?)
        How 'bout a smoking network cable?  (a la smoking wire suggested
        by Ed Burns...  :-)  Put a mouse on the end of the cable?  (too
        complicated?)

        Check it out with the design prototype... The design sounds like
        it looks good so far.  Good work!  Wish I had some software like
        that!  ;-)

        Also, I would be willing to pay a higher price for having more than
        one or two colors in the design.

        NEWS UPDATE::::
        There was a new transmission under all those cobwebs on the GT6+!!!
        Cool!  We're putting him back together now, day by day, as the parts
        orders come in.  Oh this is so FUN!  I can't wait to drive him!!!
        And of course I'll wave to any other Britcar I see.  (I checked with
        Mitch, a TR6 driver, and he said he waves to MG's...)  That was the
        first thing I learned about britcar owners --they all wave to each
        other across intersections.  This one guy I knew in college had a
        burgandy TR6 (his twin brother had one, too, only with a white soft
        top) and, even though he didn't know how to change the oil, he knew
        to wave to all other britcar drivers!!!

        indi (Cathy Young)         |"ssiwest!young"@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
        Supercomputer Systems, Inc | or: uunet!ssi!young
        Livermore, CA              | (415)373-8044
        There are two hotels in Djang: the Hotel Windsor and, across
        the street, the Hotel Anti-Windsor.          --Bruce Chatwin

----- End Included Message -----