Re: E 14th Auto Wrecking

To: alliant!alliant.Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU,
Subject: Re: E 14th Auto Wrecking
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <mit-eddie!apple.com!twakeman@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 90 08:48:48 -0700
Now .... Over to East 14th St

East 14th St is a family affair. Dorine manages it, He father owns it, her
mother & sister are often seen in the backroom doing the books & paperwork.

They do a LOT of business with Australia.  They ship container loads of parts
and British cars that would normally otherwise go to scrap here (but be rebuilt
there), and occassionally they send over some condition 3 or 4 runners.

In the past they had their own head shop, reconditioned British side draft
Carbs, rebuilt engines, transmissions & rear ends. I have not seen anyone in
the carb rebuilding area since I for years.  I suspect the person who was
doing it went off to other pursuits. They sold the head shop a year & 1/2
ago.  My TR4 overdrive transmission was purchased form E 14th. They rebuilt it
for me as part of the rebuild price. I think the price (in early '87) was
about $750 including overdrive.  They also rebuilt the rear end assy for
about $350 around the same time.  On the negative side, in late '88 when it
became time for a MG rearend rebuild, a different person was doing the
rebuilding & I suspect put in a new axel, took the dirt off, repainted it
and told Dorine it was rebuilt.

East 14th is ny first choice for used parts. Dorine is more considerate than
most anyone I know who is under the pressures of trying to help so many
customers.  Prices and availablity are better then the place in Campbell.

When I'm in the area, I like to stop off, say hi to Dorine & wonder around
looking over the new cars that they have got in since my last visit.

TeriAnn