Triumph Specialty vs. East 14th

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Triumph Specialty vs. East 14th
From: Edward Burns <mit-eddie!ads.com!eburns@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 90 09:29:17 PDT
There have been so many horror stories posted about Triumph Specialty
I thought I'd contrast them with a good story about East 14th St. Auto
Wreckers is San Leandro, Ca.

Several weeks ago I had to replace the trans in my `67 MGB/GT.  I called
all the places I know of in the Bay Area that sell Brit parts and in
general the prices I got for a used non-syncro unit ranged from $300 to
$395.  I didn't call Triumph Specialty because I've been hearing the same
complaints for as long as I've owned British Cars.  I called East 14th and
Dorene(the manager[owner?]) told me she wasn't sure she had one in good
condition, but if so, I could have it for $250.  She took my phone number
and promised to call back in an hour to let me know.  She called back and
and told me she was sorry, but she hadn't had a chance to check because one
of here employees hadn't shown up and she was the only one there.  I live
only 15 minutes from the store so I offered to go over and check myself.
When I got there she was still very busy but stopped to show me where to
find the transmissions.  I was only there about 3 minutes when she came
back and introduced me to a man she said could help me find a good trans.
It turns out that he owns an MG restoration shop in Australia and was here
to buy cars and parts.  He walked in her door and she immediately brought
him over to help me.  This guy knew *everything* about checking out used
transmissions and spent about 45 minutes with me going through 4 of them.
The one he chose for me was in great condition inside, but had a bad front
seal.  When we brought it inside to pay for it, Dorene saw that the seal was
bad and gave me a seal and gasket for free.  I left happy and the trans is
better than my old one ever was.

About a year ago a truck kicked up a rock and broke my windshield.  Again,
East 14th had by far the lowest price.  I got prices at other shops of
$100 to $140.  Dorene wanted $75.  I told her I'd be right over and she
had it waiting for me at the front counter.  She showed me a very small
scratch on it and said the price was now $65.  I left happy.

I'm convinced that East 14th is the best run and most honest shop available
to Brit car owners in the Bay Area and I'll always call there first from now
on.  In addition to tons of used parts and entire cars, they stock many
rebuilt parts and some new things.

East 14th St. Auto Wreckers
16552 E. 14th St.
San Leandro, Ca  94578
(415) 278-6300

Dorene Carlson is the person to ask for.

-Ed