Re: Tridget 1500

To: uunet!Alliant.COM!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: Tridget 1500
From: mit-eddie!tellab4.TELLABS.COM!kegel@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Dave Kegel)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 90 15:23:24 -0500
OK, you asked.

About 3 years ago I attempted to order a used seat for my TR6 (74) from
Triumph Speciality.  They said that they had one, and it would be $150-$175
depending on the condition.  I made a point to tell them that the seat was for
a '74 (headrests).

Well the seat I received was for an earlier TR6 (no headrests), they charged me
$185 (not 150-175) plus $20 shipping (which was OK).  I called them back and
explained to them that they sent me the wrong year seat and that I wanted to
return it.  They said I had to wait until I received their RA # (return
authorization) number in the mail.  This took about a week and a half to get.
They also said that they would reimburse me the amount it cost me for shipping
($15).

I can see that this is going to be a long story so I'll try to speed things up..

I waited, and waited, and called, and called.  I wrote them nice letters, nasty
letters.  They kept telling me that they were looking for a seat.  Then they
started telling me that the seat they sent me was perfectly good. "It would fit
wouldn't it?"

Finally I told them I wanted my money back, all of it. (I charged it)
They said that they would reimburse me. So I waited, and waited, and called, and
called.  I wrote them nice letters, nasty letters.  Then they told me they won't
give me a refund, only store credit.  Eventually they wouldn't even talk to me
on the phone.

I tried the Better Business Bureau.  Twice.  They couldn't help me because
Triumph Speciality told them they "sent me the correct seat, I didn't like it,
and that their policy is to issue a store credit", which they said, they did.

So  now, several months had gone by, I was furious beyond belief.  I checked
into taking them to small claims court, talked to the sheriffs dept. in their
county, etc.  The bottom line was, they (TR Spec.) would have to come out here
(IL) to court, and if they didn't, the court couldn't do much about it.

I decided not to waste another penny on those assholes and to take the store
credit, which by the way, was only for the $185.  Not their shipping, which I
paid for. Not for my shipping, which I paid for. Just $185.

So I filled out one of their order forms for about $185 worth of stuff, wrote
down on the form that I had $185 worth of store credit, and sent it off.

What do YOU think happened???  Nothing naturally.  They never sent me a damn
thing.

Since then I've tried to chalk it up to "mail order experience", and have talked
to others at British Car events that have had similar experiences with this
company.  What I can't understand is how they can stay in business with the way
their attitude is, and the service that they have.  Maybe they have a lot of
local business, I don't know.

I have since learned that I should have contacted my VISA company right away.
They probably could have gotten my money back for me.

Well, live and learn I suppose.  If this story helps any 1 person avoid that
company, I feel better.  I almost exclusively by from TRF now, those guys are
first class.

Dave