1980 Spica

To: italian-cars@sol.crd.ge.com
Subject: 1980 Spica
From: uwm!rml!jack@uunet.uu.net (jack hagerty)
Date: 24 May 90 11:37:30 PDT (Thu)

>i don't know if this is true or not, but 1980 was, i believe,
>the last year of spica fool injection, and alfa does have a
>pattern of short model years just before major technical changes.

>richard

Well, it's mostly true. 1980 was the last year of the *normal* Spica
injection, i.e. essentially the same as they'd been selling for the
previous 10 years. They tried to stretch it one more year but the
1981 Spcia system was a real abortion. A lot of the adjustors were
sealed off or, even worse, replaced by "hard coded" non-adjustable
parts. Bob, our favorite Alfa mechanic in these parts, rolls his
eyes whenever an '81 comes into the shop because he knows it's got
drivability problems.

I suspect that '81 was *supposed* to be the first year for the Bosch
injection but, as usual, they didn't have it ready and that rather
than stay out of the market for a year (as they had in the past) they
tried a quickie patch-up that only generated a lot of disgruntled customers.

- Jack