Re: Strombergs and Colortune

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Strombergs and Colortune
From: Scott Turner <mit-eddie!CS.UCLA.EDU!srt@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 May 90 11:24:00 PDT
>>    ...  Here's where
>>    the fun begins.  I start turning the mixture control to lean it out,
>>    and I keep turning, and turning, and nothing happens.  20 turns or
>>    so and nothing happens.  5 or 6 the other way and I'm back to the
>>   stops at full rich.

[1]
> ...I recall that the "adjustment range" is rather small, suitable
> for final fine tuning, and not much else - the major mixture setting
> would come from gas [float] level...

[2]
> Finally, note that if you truly "unscrew" it all the way, the needle can
> fall out of the piston . . .

I'm hardly a fount of knowledge about British cars, but I don't
believe either [1] or [2] to be correct.

First, the range of adjustment should be fairly broad on a Z-S *if* we
are talking about adjusting the needle.  There is a separate "fine
idle" adjustment which gives relatively minor control.  I presume
(since he said that he had to buy a tool) that Jeff Lo was talking
about the needle adjustment, but you never know.

Second, the needle is held in the piston by a separate holding screw
(in the side of the piston) and shouldn't fall out no matter how you
tweak the adjustment.  Of course, there were "gazillion" different Z-Ses
made, so your mileage may vary.

Finally, in reference to the original problem, let me suggest renewing
the air filters if old.  Your problem may be lack of air, not excess of
fuel.

                                        -- Scott Turner