Fuel pump (was Re: Cold Fuel)

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Fuel pump (was Re: Cold Fuel)
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 May 90 11:47:30 pdt
Philip J Ethier writes:

>the car.  Like it will only do 3000 RPM!  I leave the hood open a lot
>at autocrosses.  If I moved the fuel line to the other side of the
>engine, away from the exhaust, or fitted some sort of heat shield,
>that might help.  How did these cars run in 1966?  You could get Super

Are you sure this isn't a fuel pump problem?  Does this car have a
mechanical pump?  I know there's been an on-going discussion about this
but not owning one of these cars, I haven't been following too closely.
Anyway, this was a common symptom on older American cars with mechanical
fuel pumps driven by a push rod off of the cam shaft.  The push rod
would wear down (similar to the clutch rods mentioned in other postings)
resulting in fuel starvation at higher RPMs.  Maybe something in your
pump is just worn out.