Re: Battery ventilation question

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Battery ventilation question
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Thu, 17 May 90 9:40:35 EDT

>     The battery for a TR-8 sits in the trunk.  I've purchased a plastic
> battery box that I intend to put the battery in once I get my 8 back
> from the paint shop.  The new battery box has a sealed bottom to keep
> the battery acid off of the trunk floor, with a removable top that
> provides enough room to fit the cables.  The top does not seal to the
> lower section, presumably to let the gases escape.
>
>     My question is:
>                                                Should the battery be
> vented to atmosphere to protect the trunk from corrosion, or does the
> frequent opening & closing of the trunk lid provide enough ventilation?

Jaguar XJS's also put the battery in the trunk.  They use a plastic box
very similar to what you described for your TR8.  Inside the box there is
a plastic piece that is held onto the battery with a bungee cord (yessir,
a factory bungee cord) that fits exactly on top of the filler caps of a
Lucas (and only a Lucas) battery and has a tube that vents the battery gases
to the outside.  Apparently Jaguar thought that opening the trunk wasn't
good enough to vent the battery.

                                                        Joe